Büyük Mecidiye Mosque or Ortakoy Mosque is a Neo Barok style mosque located on the beach in Ortaköy district of Beşiktaş district in Bosphorus.
Ortaköy Mosque or Ortaköy Büyük Mecidiye Mosque; It was built on the shore at the northern end of Ortaköy Vapur İskelesi Square near the Rumelian of the Bosphorus in 1853 - 1854 by Sultan I. Abdülmecit to the architect Nikogos Balyan. The mosque, which is surrounded by the south and the western sea, is on a small nose running towards the Bosphorus. On a total area of 2433 m², the mosque was built on a 933 m² area. Despite being on the beach; It appears from Üsküdar and from many parts of the Bosphorus. Mahmut Ağa Mesjid is ruined in the place where today's Ortaköy Büyük Mecidiye Mosque is located, and this old mosque was demolished by order of the Sultan III.Ahmet and Grand Vizier İbrahim Pasha and a new mosque was built by Kethüda Mehmet Efendi towards the shore. Since Mehmet Kethüda Mosque was ruined over time, Sultan Abdülmecit built a mosque with two minarets instead of the same mosque. Today this is the mosque we know as "Ortaköy Mosque" or "Büyük Mecidiye Mosque".
This mosque was built in the Baroque style outside the Ottoman Mosque Architecture. The glass has a small courtyard with iron bars, a large quay surrounding both sides and a garden to the east. Eleven stepped double sided marble stairs lead you to the front door of the last congregation. In the book above the door there is the poem that poet Ziver, written by Ali Haydar with talik, dropped the date on the date. The mosque is a square space as an architectural plan. Cover the top of the central dome. The dome is seated on four walls with hangers. From the outside, three pillars are adorned with pile columns, which pile up at the same time.
The interior walls of the glass are covered with red and white motifs of pink mosaic. The inside of the glass receives light from 12 large windows in the upper row and 8 large windows in the lower row. Interior design has a refreshing image with this design. It is made of mihrab, marble and mosaic. There is isotacticity on it. Minibar is covered with some marble. There is also a sermon on the left made of some marble. God, Muhammed plates on the walls of the glass, the carvings of the carved word-i Tevhid above the minber were written by Sultan Abdülmecit himself. Under the sign of the sultan is read. On the right side of the door of the glass is the Hünkâr Mahfili on the right and the muezzin on the left. These are not lodges, but lodges. In the last congregation of the camin there are three rooms and a sofa. The door of the right will be opened to the sea, this is the Mahkir Mahfilid. Hunkar Mahfili is two storeys on the west side of the northern entrance. This arrangement clearly indicates that the Qur'an came through the sea.
The entrance is provided with a portico, which is reached by ten steps of stairs on both sides. In this way the upper floor of the glass is climbed by stairs both ways by east and west. For this reason, there is no direct access to the upper part of the mosque section. It is also true that this regulation was made in accordance with the protocol and safety rules of the period. The glass has two fine minarets, some of which are honored with grooves. Very delicate and graceful, like pheasant, the minarets of these minarets, which are attracted to the sea from the shore, are painted with golden gilding as the only example in Istanbul.
This mosque, which is very flashy with rich ornaments, has been renovated every time since it has been repaired continuously. Since the date it was built, it has undergone five repairs at different times. These repair years were respectively 1862-1866-1894--1964-1984. In 1894, in the great earthquake, the glazed windows and the walls of the windows were cracked. Both of these wreck minarets were demolished to the bottom of the honor and then re-built. After all these repairs, the mosque was closed in 1960 to receive repairs when it was understood that the bases on the Ortaköy Stream bed were not strong enough and that the glass was about to slide into the sea and to migrate. After a four-year wait and research, in 1964, he underwent an important repair.
The restoration work of the Vakıflar General Directorate for about three years between 2011 and 2014 was completed on June 06, 2014 and the mosque was opened again in worship and ritual with the ceremony attended by the current president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
Ortaköy Mosque, Istanbul Bosphorus, Ortaköy is located in the district of Besiktas.
If you want to do virtual tour in Ortaköy mosque in 3D please click here.